Friday, October 9, 2015

MENDON Hamlet Querry

Subject: Mendon Hamlet
From: jhodock@rochester.rr.com
Date: Fri, October 9, 2015 6:13 am
To: editor@crookedlakereview.com
----------------------------------------------------------

My name is James E. Hodock, former patron of the Cottage Hotel from approx. 1975 to 1995.
I married into the McCarthy family from Pittsford, who were the originators and operators of
the Hicks and McCarthy restaurant on main st. Pittsford, from 1913 to the early 70's when they
sold to the Burdetts.

My wife's (Katy) father and grandmother were of the Finucane descendants. May Bridges Finucane,
daughter of Thomas Finucane (owner of the cottage hotel) accompanied Katy and I through the township
of Mendon and Victor showing us the families homesteads, ranging from the cobblestone in the hamlet,
to Strong road and way down route 64. This was approx. in 1982-3. She left us some photos showing
the dirt roads at the intersection. Her father Thomas was also known as Yankee Tom Finucane. Although
people called her May, her headstone reads Mary. Im not sure but I believe her mother's name was also
Mary. (could be wrong on that) She also left us a hard cover book called "Paddy" Finucane who was one
of the most famous flying aces in WWII. He flew a spitfire for England but was from Ireland.
I am assuming he is related to May and Tom but I can not find the connection. Is there any
information you may know of, that might make that link?


Feel free to email me anytime.


James Hodock

No comments: