Hello New Society members:
The July meeting will be on Saturday, July 21 when we will visit the Greece Historical Society at 595 Long Pond Road, located 1/4 mile north of Latta Road, next to the Greece Town Hall. The tour will begin at 10:30.
Following the tour we will go to the Pier 45 Restaurant at the Port of Rochester (think Fast Ferry), 1000 North River Street, where we have a reservation at 12:30. The restaurant is about five miles from the Greece Town Hall, Visit their website at www.pier45attheport.com.
Please reply to me by July 18 if you are planning to attend.
Thanks to Bill Sauers, who has made the arrangements for us and has prepared the attached sketch of the Greece Historical Society.
NEW SOCIETY OF THE GENESEE visit to the Greece Historical Society JULY 21, 2012
The Greece Historical Society was formed in 1969 and received its charter from the New York State Department of Education Board of Regents in 1974. In 1988 the former home of Gordon Howe, Greece Town Supervisor for 26 years and former Monroe County Manager, was donated to the Society and moved one half mile to its present location. The 1855 farm house has been restored by the Society and sits on land leased from the Town of Greece. The house, which the Society owns, is the home of the Society’s administrative offices, research library, museum exhibit hall, museum shop and the office of the Town Historian.
The society strives to provide the community with an awareness of the past, an appreciation of the present, and a vision for the future, giving a sense of “roots” and a greater feeling of belonging. The society is operated by an all volunteer staff.
Our tour will include a history of the house and its transformation to the Greece Historical Center, we’ll visit the many permanent and changing exhibits and possibility get a behind the scenes visit the historian’s office, storage areas and learn about the operation of this very active historical society.
Following our visit we will have lunch at Pier 45 Restaurant in Charlotte (about 5 miles from the Greece Museum.)