New Society of the Genesee's Buffalo Visit to Darwin Martin's House
Hello New Society members:
(POTENTIAL NEWBIE NOTE)
It's only necessary to notify the Muhls by Monday the 26th - with the number in our party - then show up at the Buffalo site by the appointed time. If you enjoy the experience we can get you added to the notification list for next year's meetings. We always welcome feedback. - editor
The October meeting--and final meeting for this year--will be a visit to the Darwin Martin House in Buffalo on Saturday, October 1. The house is considered one of Frank Lloyd Wright's prime achievements. Gerry Muhl has provided the information below and has made the arrangements for our visit and for lunch afterwards.
Our guided tour is scheduled for 10:30 a.m., so please plan to arrive by 10:15 a.m. We will gather at the large glass pavilion next to the site. Tour tickets are $12.00. We will have a guided tour of the main house and grounds for one hour. The last stop is the carriage house gift shop. From there, we will drive one half mile to Buffalo's "Little Italy" for lunch at Guttuso's North End Trattoria, located at 1458 Hertel Avenue (716-235-8070).
After the tour and lunch you may want to visit the Buffalo Zoo, one of the best in the state and only three blocks from the Martin House. The Albright Knox Art Museum and the Buffalo Historical Society are one half mile away also.
Please let Gerry Muhl know that you are coming by calling him at (585) 336-9459 or by email at Jeannemuhl@aol.com. Gerry would appreciate it if you could notify him by Monday, September 26, 2011.
DIRECTIONS TO THE MARTIN HOUSE
1. From the large toll booth at the Buffalo end of Thruway, bear left to Route 33 West. Head towards Buffalo on Route 33.
2. Exit from Route 33 onto Route 198 West and head a few blocks to Main Street (Rt 5) Turn right onto Main Street, heading north.
3. Proceed on Main Street to the intersection of Jewett Parkway and turn LEFT (Jewett is well marked). NOTE: Jewett PARKWAY turns LEFT off Main Street, Jewett AVENUE turns RIGHT off Main Street at the same intersection!
4. Proceed on Jewett Parkway to the Martin House, located at 125 Jewett Parkway. Park where you can on the street, as there is no parking lot.
DIRECTIONS FROM THE MARTIN HOUSE TO GUTTUSO'S
1. Head a few blocks on Jewett Parkway to Parkside Avenue (away from Main Street and the Martin House). Turn RIGHT on Parkside.
2. Go about 10 blocks to Hertel Avenue and turn LEFT. (Hertel is a main intersection).
3. A few blocks ahead you will see Guttuso's on the RIGHT side of the street next to a Bank of America. It has big pots of flowers outside. There is free parking in the lot behind the Bank of America or on the street. Lunches range between $8.00 and $12.00. Their website is www.guttusosnorthendtrattoria.com.