Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Western / Central New York timeline / 1710-1724

Mar 23
South Carolina captures Fort Nochucke, Tuscarora stronghold in North Carolina,
ending the Tuscarora Indian War. Most of the tribe will flee to Iroquois lands in the

Nov 18
The British Lords of Trade and Plantations write to secretary of state for the southern department James Stanhope, praising the cooperation shown by the Iroquois Nations towards New York colony.

Tuscarora Indians, exiled by North Carolina colonists, move into New York to Ohagi (Crowding the Bank) near Piffard, and are adopted by the Oneidas for a probationary period. ** The approximate date the Seneca Indians begin a settlement southwest of the future Geneva, known to future archaeologists as the Townley-Read Site.

Future New York Indian agent William Johnson is born in Smithtown.

The Seneca Indians grant the French permission to set up a trading post – Fort de Sables (Fort of Sands) - at the Lake Ontario outlet of Irondequoit Bay. ** Louis XV begins sending Catholic fathers to central and western New York.

Joincare, French emissary to the Seneca, builds a log house near the Niagara River on the future site of Lewiston.

Apr 19
King George I appoints William Burnet as Royal governor of New York, replacing Robert Hunter.

Governor de Vaudreuil proposes founding three trading posts along Lake Ontario, to prevent British expansion in the area. Two are erected at Toronto and Quinte, the other is slated for New York colony.

May 9
A trading post, Le Magazin, is opened by France under Louis Joncaire, at the former site of the Denonville fort and the future site of Fort Niagara.

Joncaire the elder, the French ambassador to the Seneca, visits the Oil Spring near the Allegany-Cattaraugus border. ** The British erect Fort Schuyler (named for the captain out of Albany that came to build it) near the southern end of Irondequoit Bay at Indian Landing, to trade with the Seneca. ** Jesuit historian Pierre François Xavier de Charlevoix preaches to the Senecas at Irondequoit, describes the bay.

Tuscarora Indians make the Five Nations of the Iroquois the Six Nations.** The British erect Fort Oswego, on the southern shore of Lake Ontario.

Governor William Burnet sends scientist-surveyor Cadwallader Colden to the western part of the state to report on activity between the French and the Indians, as well as geographical conditions. Colden's report is published as A Memorial Concerning the Fur-Trade of the Province of New-York.

© 2009 David Minor / Eagles Byte

Monday, April 27, 2009

Canal Item from the Lyons Advertiser - 1822

Submitted by Richard Palmer

Sept. 22,1822

Erie Canal.

We have recently had an opportunity of acquiring some information
respecting the progress of the Eastern Section of this great work ,
which we presume will be gratifying to our readers. It will be
recollected that this section has for the last and the present season
been under the immediate superintendence and direction of Mr. [Henry]
Seymour. The work is prosecuted with great spirit and persevering
industry. It is estimated that there are five thousand persons at
present engaged in various employments on that section of the canal.

The Schoharie creek is to be crossed by means of a dam. The dangers
and delays incident to the construction of such a work, had excited
much solicitude and apprehension. This dam was completely finished
last week, and is secured in the most durable and substantial manner;
it is more than six hundred feet long, and so perfect has been its
construction that the water falls over it in an even and unbroken sheet.

The early completion of this dam, and of the heavy and difficult jobs
at the little and at the great nose, two promontories which present
formidable obstacles, together with the forward state of the work in
general, give the strongest assurance that the line of the canal will
be completed the present year as far eastward as the city of

Great loss has been sustained during the present summer, occasioned
by a want of means to transport the produce of the country to market.
Large quantities of flour lay exposed to the weather for weeks in
succession; and the owners had at last to pay from ten to twelve
shillings per barrel to have it carried from the little falls to this
city. If the canal, at the opening of this season, had been completed
to Schenectady, it is estimated that there would have been a saving
to the proprietors, in the transportation of the single article of
flour for this year alone, the enormous sum of one hundred thousand
dollars. The amount of toll for the present year, will greatly exceed
what was estimated in the last yearís report.

Albany Argus

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Before the E-Z Pass

© 2007 David Minor / Eagles Byte

At one time, back in the early days of steamboats on the Hudson River, there was this joke making the rounds. Seems a frightened farmer, looking down over the edge of the Palisades, was asked what he’d seen that scared him. His reply was that he wasn’t sure, but believed it was “. . . the Devil on his way to Albany, on a sawmill!”

Now, on August 11th, 1830, it was English traveler John Fowler, on the “sawmill” named Albany. Passing the Palisades he describes how they rise, “almost perpendicularly from the shore, and form, for several miles in extent, a solid wall of rock, diversified only by an occasional fishing hut on the beach, at their base . . .” He also notices a few wooden slides coming down from the top, used for shooting down firewood from above for the fishing camps. The Albany continues steaming northward.

Fowler was not the first diarist/author to make this journey in 1830. Slightly over two months previously, 24-year-old William R. Gorgas had arrived in Manhattan from Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania, near Harrisburg, along with two companions, Christian H. Bauman and John Fahnestock, preparing to set out on a jaunt similar to Fowler’s. They would roughly precede Fowler all the way to Buffalo, then move on south of Lake Erie to return home by way of Ohio. Since the two itineraries will cover much of the same territory, we may be able to see many of the sights along the way through two slightly different perspectives.

The Pennsylvania party would travel aboard the North America steamboat, as had James Stuart two years earlier. They had started north out of New York back on June 17th. Gorgas mentions the various towns and sights in passing, not going into too much detail until West Point. So we’ll get back to Fowler, as his vessel enters the Tappan Zee (‘Zee’ is Dutch for ‘Sea’, a bit of an exaggeration for this wide spot in the river) just below Tarrytown. In our own time you’ll see the bridge of the same name, becoming a bit ragged around the edges.

This year Tarrytown, on the east shore, and Nyack, on the west, are both stereotypes of the sleepy river village. Although a Presbyterian church has just been formed in Nyack, with services being held in private homes. It’ll be another six years before they have a church building of their own. The other bit of excitement here is the completion this year of the Nyack Turnpike, which connects the river village with Suffern, a few miles off to the northwest, where another turnpike will head north and provide an inland route up to Albany, much like today’s New York State Thruway.

Shortly north of that, you may remember, lies Sing Sing prison. Fowler, as did Stuart, takes enough interest in the place to find out a few facts about the ‘joint’. Last year, when Stuart passed through, construction was still incomplete, prisoners even then laboring to finish their place of confinement. Now the job has been finished. Fowler describes the four-story, 50 by 500 foot building, containing 800 ‘dormitories’. Marble wings at each end of the building (angled out to the river to form an enclosed yard) contain workshops, a chapel, a kitchen and a hospital. The entire structure has reportedly cost $200,000. Last year the prison held 600 convicts. Which, in case you’re wondering, initially divides out to $333 per prisoner. But that’s a one-time expense.

Monday, April 20, 2009

From the Galen Historical Society’s Blockhouse Bulletin

April 2009

Five area authors will share their experiences of writing about local history
at April’s quarterly meeting of the Galen Historical Society. On hand will be
Bob Mead, author of Howland’s Island History; Charles Jackson, who penned
an autobiographical account of the experiences of a migrant farmhand in
More Than One Journey; Wayne Morrison, whose definitive History of Clyde,
New York
has been an invaluable historical resource for Galen residents
for more than fifty years; Pat Morrison, who recently published For Wood & Water,
an account of the stop of Abraham Lincoln’s inaugural train in 1861;
and Carol Bailey, who has written Childhood Memories and The Centennial
History of the Wayne County Pomona Grange

The quarterly meeting will be Monday, April 27,
following a brief 6:30 business meeting.

For further information phone the society at

Their web site is at
Visit it for other news, exhibits and events

An earlier article from their Blockhouse Bulletin – a diary account of a Newark,
New York, teacher hired for three months for a one-room Town of Galen
schoolhouse in 1855, can be accessed through the society web site at

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Firing an Engine

Submitted by Richard Palmer

Syracuse Standard, Sept. 14, 1890


Some of the Hardships of Locomotive Fireman's Life

His Lot is Not as Easy as Many Believe - The Amount of Fuel
Required to Keep an Iron Horse Going - Coal Must Be Supplied Very

"If people only knew the hardships of a fireman's life," said
one of the local leaders of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Firemen to
a Chicago Evening Post reporter, "they would not be so apt to wonder
that the men want to strike once in awhile to better their
circumstances. Their lot at the best is a hard one, and the pay is
poor when the skill required to be a fireman, the severity of the
work and the constant strain to which the men are subjected are taken
into account.

"Many people, probably a majority, consider that the fireman's
work is not skilled labor, but this opinion arises from ignorance of
the requirements of the calling. An unskilled fireman could no more
fire a locomotive on the road so as to keep up steam steadily and
enable the engineer to make good time than he could build the

"Take a green hand and put him on a passenger train, for
instance, and the chance are that the passengers will turn out and
mob the whole train's crew before the trip is half through. The
likelihood is that the train will come to a dead stop half a dozen
times before the trip is ended, and while the train is running it
will be making such miserable progress that all on board will have
their patience exhausted and be driven almost to distraction over the
way in which their valuable time is being frittered away.

"Firemen have to serve a regular apprenticeship to the work.
They generally begin as cleaners in the round-house, where they are
put to clean the locomotives after they come in from a long trip. In
that way they get an acquaintance with the several parts of the
engine and how and where they should be oiled when running. Their
next step is on the switch engine in the yards, where they learn how
to fire an engine and raise steam rapidly and keep up a constant
supply. This requires a good deal of practice.

"It is the easiest thing in the world to fire your engine in
such a way that though you have a big fire in it, it will not be of
the kind to make steam. Too much coal is often as bad as too little.
If the fire is too heavy and burns too slowly, the inevitable
consequence will be the lowering of the supply of steam to such an
extent that there will not be enough to keep the train running.

"If any kind of a fire would do, the fireman's lot would be an
easy one. He could then fire up, sit down comfortably in the cab and
take it easy until the fire burns out. As it is he has to keep firing
steadily, adding fresh fuel to the flames at intervals of not much
more than two minutes, so that while he is on a run he hardly knows
what it is to have a chance to straighten his back.

"He is constantly clambering half-bent from the box to the
gangway and from the gangway to the box, manipulating a heavy
scoopful of coal, and all this time he has got to keep a lookout
ahead, for it is his duty to watch out for danger as much as it is
that of the engineer. In a fifteen hours' trip he will often shovel
as many as ten tons of coal. Some heavy passenger locomotives eat up
about three-quarters of a ton every hour they run.

"An ordinary fire is four or five scoopfuls, and it must be put
in the fire box just so or there will be trouble. The fire box of a
locomotive is a peculiar piece of workmanship and it requires to be
thoroughly understood before it can be fed in such a way as to keep
things running smoothly.. It is from six to ten feet in length,
according to the size of the locomotive, and four or five feet wide.
The grate is composed of movable bars so placed as to provide for
ventilation at the sides and ends.

" If you have ever watched a fireman putting in coal you may
have noticed that he hardly ever pitches it in straight. He turns his
shovel now to this side and then to that, now to this end and then to
that, and it is only once in awhile that a shovelful goes straight to
the center. The reason for that is that he does not want to put the
coal where it will interfere with the ventilation of the grate or in
such a way as will cause it to cake.

"A steady burning and at the same time roaring fire is what is
required, and every thing depends on the way in which the fuel is fed
to it. The amount of steam required to run an ordinary passenger
engine is 135 pounds, and the aim of the expert fireman is to keep it
at that figure constantly from the time he starts out on his trip
till he is on the last mile of his run when he will gradually let it
fall so that, when he reaches the final stopping place, there will be
just about enough left to run the engine to the round-house, that
none of it may go to waste.

"That is another matter the fireman has to look to, or he will
get hauled over the coals by his superiors. He must be as economical
of fuel as possible. The inexperienced fireman will use up far more
fuel than his more expert brother and have no better results for it.
He must keep his fire so that all the heat will go to the flues, and
that no cold air entering the fire-box can get to them until it has
been thoroughly heated and rendered incapable of cooling them off.

"His fire is not the only thing that the fireman has got to
attend to, however. In the short intervals between his firing up he
must assist the engineer in keeping the engine thoroughly oiled. When
there is no automatic bell he must keep the bell ringing while
approaching all crossings and all stations."

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Western / Central New York timeline / 1700-1709

A Colonel Romer arrives in Iroquois country, and is instructed to view the “burning spring” near Bristol.

May 13
Robert Livingston writes to the Board of Trade in London, praising the Iroquois Nations for their friendly relations with the colony.

New York State adopts a policy of neutrality toward the Canadian French. ** Royal governor Richard Coote, Earl of Bellomont, dies suddenly. ** The Five Nations’ treaty with the French in Canada and renewal of the Covenant Chain with the English in Albany, preserves the tribes’ independence - The Grand Settlement.

Edward Hyde, Viscount Cornbury, a cousin of Queen Anne, begins serving as royal governor in New York, replacing the late Lord Bellomont.

Jesuit missionary Julien Garnier returns from Canada to live for a while with the Seneca again. ** A short road is built at the portage or Great Carrying Place, between Wood Creek and the Mohawk River.

Former Jesuit missionary to the Seneca Julien Garnier dies in Québec at the age of 87.

Future New York governor Robert Hunter is appointed governor of Virginia. On the way to the colonies he's captured by a French privateer and brought back to Europe.

A bell is cast in Malaga. It will one day be placed in the steeple of the Episcopal Church in Ellicottville.

May 5
Royal governor Lord John Lovelace dies, to be replaced by Richard Ingoldsby.

© 2009 David Minor / Eagles Byte

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Canal Items, 1822, 1825

Submitted by Richard Palmer

Lyons Advertiser, Friday, July 26,1822

The Northern Canal- A singular fatality seems to attend the progress
of the Northern Canal. Last year the destruction of the dam across
the Hudson at Fort Edward, and an unaccountable error in determining
some of the levels delayed its completion, and prevented its becoming
useful for that season. By the following from the Albany Gazette it
will be seen that the patience of Northern brethren is again most
severely put to the test

We extremely regret to learn that the late rains have done very great
damage to the northern canal, by breaking its banks carrying away
bridges &c, &c. and that the great dam construction in the Hudson
river at Port Edward as a feeder has been again materially injured.
Upwards of 70 person were on it at the time it gave way aiding and
assisting in putting in a situation to resist life freshet.

Fortunately and providentially, the part at which gave way moved only
about six feet; had it been carried off, not one of the 70 would
probably have escaped with his life. Many of the rafts which had
remained in the canal since the spring, were broken up, and carried
may rods on the land and otherwise damaged.- The quantity of lumber
in the canal, between Whitehall and Fort Ann was estimated to be
worth 15 to 20,000 dollars, and upwards of 100 persons having the
charge of it, have been encamped on the banks of the canal for nearly
two months, waiting for a rise of water to enable them to raft it to
market. All hopes of being enabled to do it the present season, we
fear must now be abandoned .

Wayne Sentinel, Palmyra, June 15,1822

Termination of the Erie Canal. On the evening of the 2nd inst. The
gates at the foot of the Black Rock Harbor were opened, and Lake
Erie, for the first time commenced feeding the western extremity of
the Erie Canal, which is now open the whole distance to Albany,
excepting the interruption at Lockport. On Friday, suitable
arrangements were made for celebrating this event, and the following
particulars we copy from the Black Rock Gazette.

"On Friday morning at 9 oíclock the committee of arrangements for
Black Rock, accompanied by the canal commissioner ( Mr. Bouck) the
engineers (Messrs. Roberts, Hurd and Root,) and about 50 gentlemen
and Ladies, embarked in the large boat Superior, which lay in the
river on the outside of the harbour, and had been handsomely fitted
up, decorated with flags and provided with music and refreshments.

After passing ten miles down the river they entered the mouth of the
Tonnewanta creek and at half past eleven while a salute was firing by
the inhabitants of the Tonnewanta , ascended, through the lock at
that place into the canal, when they were met and joined by the
committees and other citizens from Lockport, Pendleton and Tonnewanta
who had respectively provided themselves with Packet-Boats neatly
fitted and decorated for the occasion. After interchanging
congratulations and partaking of some refreshments, the whole party
in five boats, got under way at half past one oíclock for Black Rock.

At three oíclock they arrived at and entered the harbor where they
were met and cheered by a large concourse of citizens formed in
handsome order, along the bridge dam, and ship lock, and by four new
Barges belonging to the Steam-Boats, filled with ladies and
gentlemen. The whole of the boats then moved in handsome style about
a mile up the beautiful harbor, under a national salute and
reiterated cheerings from the people on shore and landed at N.
Stillís wharf. A procession was her formed under the direction of
J. L. Barton Esq., Marshall of the day, and marched to the Steam Boat
Hotel where about 150 of them set down to a very handsome dinner,
furnished by Mr. Thayer. The day was marked by great hilarity and
good feeling, and not the least incident occurred to mar its pleasures.

This new line of canal which winds along the margin of the Niagara
for nine miles between this and Tonnewanta is remarkably beautiful,
having been laid out with great taste and judgment and faithfully
executed. It is wider and deeper than are the other sections, for the
purpose of throwing forward from the lake into the basin formed by
the bed of the Tonnewanta, an ample supply of water for the whole
line west of Rochester.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Steaming North

English traveler John Fowler had learned, after recently returning to Manhattan from his Long Island visit, that the ship Adeline was due to depart for England the next day, the same day he planned to be off on his travels upstate. He sat down to write some letters home that August day of 1830, ready to send them off by the departing ship.

His letters would be leaving New York on the 10th. Fowler would not. An intended traveling companion from Philadelphia hadn’t arrived. The plan was for the two men to travel together as far as Orange County, up around the West Point area. Fowler decided he’d leave the next day, whether the gentleman showed up or not.

His friends in Brooklyn had problems of their own. Neither Fowler or James Stuart had mentioned it this year, but cholera was making one of its frequent (almost annual) visits to the city. A recent warm period had seen 204 deaths in a single week, 80 of the victims under five years of age. His friends’ infant had begun showing alarming signs, the same symptoms that very often spelled the beginning of the end for children. Fowler wasn’t too impressed with the two doctors called in, who differed over their methods of treatment. He doesn’t inform us of the outcome of this particular case. Nothing he could do, of course.

The next day, August 11th, he made his way to a pier and boarded the 212-foot steamboat Albany, along with 350-or-so fellow passengers. He’d decided to skip Orange County on his way out, but his Philadelphia friend showed up at the last minute and Fowler reverted to his original itinerary. Then they’ll move on from West Point to Newburgh, about sixty miles from Manhattan. The total fare per person will come to a whopping 75 cents.

He’s quite impressed with the steamboat. “The Albany is the most splendid conveyance I ever moved in, in my life, though surpassed, I am told, by the North America, belonging to the same Company . . .”. The North America he mentions was the vessel that James Stuart made a similar trip on, two years previously. Fowler has to admit that the U. S. has it all over Great Britain when it comes to its “steam-vessels - in fact, of all vessels.” The trip all the way to Albany takes about twelve hours, although six years from now the North America will shave two hours off that time.

He will apologize for failing to describe fully the many places they pass, attributing it to the amazing abundance of scenery gliding by, but does mention a few of the more notable places mentioned in his guide book, “Travellers Guide to the Middle and Northern States, and Canada”. He also mentions the various sites connected with the last century’s “glorious struggle for independence . . . the hallowed ground where the great and brave had fought and fallen.” Very sporting of him, considering.

Early on they pass Weehawken, on the New Jersey shore, where the Hamilton-Burr duel had been fought 26 years previously. He mentions its huge rocks on three sides, hiding it from view on all but the river side, probably making it a, “. . . suitable place for settling affairs of honour.”

Shortly the Palisades will hove into view.

© 2007 David Minor / Eagles Byte

Friday, April 10, 2009

Calling All Map Lovers

The next meeting of the Museum’s Historic Map Club
will be Tuesday April 21 at 7 p.m.
All are welcome
Please call 315-946-4943 for more information

Wayne County Historical Society
Museum of Wayne County History
21 Butternut Street
Lyons, NY 14489
Phone: 315-946-4943
Fax: 315-946-0069

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Genesee Valley Civil War Roundtable

The Roundtable presents History’s Past / Artifacts

Kenneth Richard Montford and Dr. H. E. Spink will discuss and display part of their
extensive collection of Civil War artifacts that they have collected over the years.

The GVCWR will meet at 7:30 PM on Wednesday, April 15th at the American Legion,
53 West Main Street, Le Roy, front room.

New members are welcome and a discussion period will follow the program.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pictorial history of Fairport and Perinton published

By Richard Palmer

FAIRPORT - Arcadia Publishing, well known publishers of local and
regional history books, has just published a new book entitled
"Fairport and Perinton" which features many rare views of the Erie

The book is by local authors William Keeler and Keith Boas. For more
than a century, the town of Perinton and village of Fairport, just
east of Rochester, have thrived on the banks of the Erie Canal and
along the railroad. Through vintage photographs the reader can see
what changes have occurred over time.

Keeler, curator and director of the Fairport Historical Museum,
said "the book celebrates historical preservation and is a fitting
tribute to preservation efforts in the village of Fairport, which
just passed a preservation ordinance in 2008."

The book includes previously-unpublished photos and construction and
the break in the Embankment near Bushnell's Basin.

Co-author Boas is a native of Faiport and is a well known postcard
photographer. Recently he published selection of postcards featuring
the Erie Canal.

One chapter focuses on urban renewal and the changes it wrought in
the appearance of the village. The book explores the construction and
opening of the Erie Canal in 1825, and coming of the Barge Canal in
the early 1900s.

The book is available at area bookstores, or from Arcadia Publishing
at www.arcadia

added by David Minor:
If you go:

WHAT: Copies of the new book “Then and Now: Fairport and Perinton,” will be signed by authors Bill Keeler and Keith Boas

WHEN: 10 a.m. to noon May 9 in the Gaffney Meeting Room of the Fairport Public Library, 1 Village Landing

CONTACT: Bill Keeler at the Perinton Historical Society, 223-3989. Books will also be signed during the Perinton Historical Society’s Historic House Tour, from 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, April 26 at the South Perinton Methodist Church, 291 Wilkinson Road, which will be a central base.

DETAILS: Copies of the book will be available for $21.99 beginning April 9 at the Perinton Historical Society, 18 Perrin St., Fairport; Perinton Town Hall, 1350 Turk Hill Road; local retailers, online bookstores or through Arcadia Publishing at or (888) 313-2665. All author royalties will be donated to the Perinton Historical Society.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Western/Central New York timeline / 1690-1699

King William of England appoints Henry Sloughter governor of New York.

Jan 22
A council of Iroquois Indians at Onondaga renews the tribe's allegiance to England and promises aid against the French.

Charles Clinton, ancestor of New York politicians George and De Witt Clinton, is born to James and Elizabeth Clinton in County Longford.

Offered ammunition but no guns by New York, the Iroquois decline.

Benjamin Fletcher becomes Royal governor of New York.

Louis de Buade de Frontenac et de Palluau, governor of New France, invades Onondaga Territory, retreats after burning a few Indian villages.

Aug 20
The English government reports on the importance of a Five Nations (Iroquois) alliance.

Canadian governor Louis de Buande Frontenac conducts a foray out of Montréal against New York’s Onondaga Indians, camps at Isle aux Chevreuils (Carleton Island) in the St. Lawrence River. His force of 2,000 kills many Onondaga and Oneida.

Father Louis Hennepin’s Nouvelle Découverte d’un très grand Pays situé dans l’Amérique is published in Utrecht, Netherlands. Updating his 1683 account, he adds 100 feet to the height of Niagara Falls, making it 600 feet high.

Approximately 1230 Senecas remain in the colony, down from nearly twice the number nine years ago, due to war and disease. ** Lord Bellemont is named Royal governor.

©2009 David Minor / Eagles Byte

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Upcoming New Society Trip

Hello New Society Members:

The April meeting, on Saturday, April 18, will be a visit to the Roycroft Campus in East Aurora, New York.

We will meet at the Roycroft Inn, located at 40 South Grove Street, at 1:00 p.m. for lunch, followed by a
tour of the Roycroft Campus. Lunch choices are: Roycroft Salad or Quiche ($15) or Crabcake or Phoenix
crepes ($16). There is a charge of $10 for the tour.

Take a look at the website for a preview of the lunch site and for information about the Roycroft Arts and Crafts
Community and its history.

Please reply to me if you are planning to attend so the Inn can plan for our group. Also, if you do not wish
to be on the New Society of the Genesee mailing list, please let me know.

The tentative schedule of meetings for 2009 is:

April 18, 2009 - Roycroft Inn, East Aurora, New York

May 30, 2009 - Livingston Arts Center Mount Morris, New York

June 27, 2009 - Amherst Museum Amherst, New York

July 25, 2009 - Pike Glass Studio Rochester, New York

August 29, 2009 - Honeoye Falls Micro-Brewery Honeoye Falls, New York

September 19, 2009 - Powers Building Rochester, New York

October 2009 date t/b/d - Canal/river cruise on the Mary Jemison

Martha Johnstone

Donovan Shilling’s report on the New Society’s previous visit to Roycroft can be found at: